Saturday, April 14, 2018

Art Bell Has Died

Art Bell, the creator and original host of Coast-to-Coast died on April 13, in Pahrump, Nevada. He was 72.

There isn’t much information available at this time. The announcement was made by the Nye County sheriff’s office You can watch it here:


Bell had been retired for a number of years, first leaving Coast-to-Coast but later returned to hosting duties for a short time. He said that he wanted to spend more time with his new wife and daughter. He was the host of Midnight in the Desert but soon retired from that as well.


I was a guest on Coast-to-Coast a number of times. Bell and I disagreed about the reality of MJ-12 and some of the other aspects of the UFO phenomenon but the interviews were always cordial, and I would hope, interesting.

Like so many others in the UFO and the paranormal fields, I did not know him personally, only through this radio programs and speaking with him on the telephone both privately and as a guest on his programs.


He brought conspiracy theories, UFOs and the paranormal to many with his radio programs. Until his retirement, he was a voice that presented many different ideas and while we might not have accepted all of them as based in our shared reality, at the very least, he got us talking about them. Sometimes that is the best than can be said and is certainly a way of providing information to a larger audience than might have been originally available. In other, more precise words, he facilitated conversations and opened us all to alternatives that we might not have even noticed.

6 comments:

Daniel said...

Thanks Kevin, for informing us of Art Bells passing. April 13 2018. I for one, was taken back by this news. I have listened to many of his radio shows, on many topics of interest, and found him to be one of the best,if not..the best,of all time radio.

My condolences to those, who are close to him.............

John Steiger said...

Art Bell was my gateway to researching and studying UFOs - by leading me to Linda Moulton Howe to Steve Bassett and his last X-Conference, to the Citizen Hearing, and so on and so forth.

Of course, it was my late mother-in-law I must thank for leading me to Art ...

G Joubert said...

I think those nasty cigarettes he struggled with so openly and for so long finally got him. RIP, Art.

couldbebetter said...

Whenever I happened across Art Bell on the radio I would listen intently to all he had to
offer, from UFO related topics to areas of the paranormal, I would take it all in with
enjoyment. Even the "bumper music" was always to my liking and added to the intimate at-mosphere Art Bell had created. To his credit he never was demeaning to any of his guests
who he always treated with politeness and respect. He will be missed.

TheDimov said...

Best radio show ever. George took it a step further in my opinion but Art's show talked about the topics I really wanted to hear about, and I cant be grateful enough for his work and passion.

Unknown said...

The 1990s were a second golden age for UFO's and the paranormal in general. I think Art Bell ushered that in with his radio show. When I think back on that glorious time in entertainment he is the first thing I think of. He will be missed.